Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, September 01, 2007

What to cook and what to eat

"What do cook and what to eat" has always been a headache issue for me :( For me and Tuomo, it is bit easier. Now Bobo is aboard, I have to think all the time what to cook for her. Thank GOD, she goes to daycare, which saved 2 meals in a day ;-) Finland has so few Chinese, therefore there is no such thing called China town. Really envy Susan, my best friend who lives in Sydney. She says there is a little Shanghai, where you can find almost all the foods you can find in Shanghai...

There are plenty of Chinese restaurants in the capital areas, however most of them have lost original Chinese flavor. Their tastes are more or less Finnish Chinese style. For me a person loves sea food, it has been tough life living in Finland where people love eating meat and potatoes. Of course there are plenty of fish here as well. Most of them I hardly can call their names, the most famous is Salmon. But I feel it's too oily and fatty for me. I miss the sea foods in Shanghai, Hongkong, Penang and Barcelona...

This morning I dragged Bobo and Tuomo to visited the Asian shop in Helsinki downtown. The owner of the Asian shop comes from Malaysia, she used to have a small warehouse type of shop in nearby city Espoo. Till recent years, the business has been so good that she opened today's shop in downtown.

Saturday's Asian shop is packed with customers. After spending over 100euros and querying for 15 minutes at the cash counter. We were able to leave with full loads of shrimps, squids, shells and vegetables. Luckily today I even found famous "Zhejiang Shaoxing rice wine". Due to Finnish law, only special alcohol shop ALKO can sell any alcohol is stronger than beer, Aisan shop can only sell it "off the shelf". Now Tuomo can not laugh me using Koskenkorva (Finnish well known strong viina) cooking any more.

While Bobo is taking a nap, I rushed to start cooking. First is barberque shrimp, then some local Shanghai dishes. While almost everything is done, Bobo is awake too. It is time for lunch.


(barbeque shrimps)






(some Shanghai local dishes)

After Bobo eating two and half strings of shrimps, I have to admit Chinese food is the best in the world.


(Bobo eating barbeque shrimps)

Lunch after, the same question popped up "What to eat tomorrow?"...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi MiMi, Jasmine (Teh) here...How are u there? oh..your foods look so great!! no wonder Bo Bo likes adult food already bec Mum is a great cook ya! What's that round ones, egg? and the last one? throw some to here.. ha ha..
Wish to read about Bo Bo's language skill, she speaks more English or Finish or Mandarin?
love, jasmine

Mimi said...

Hi Jasmine, those are
- 香煎虾串儿
- 葱烤芋头
- 清炒菠菜 (spinach)
- 油豆腐炖肉 (Tofu with meat)

I don't know what's the English for those, perhaps Teh could help???

- Mimi